Wednesday, February 14, 2007

scandinavia, week 2


We're back from Stockholm (Friday to Monday). It was COLD, -10 to -15 centigrade to be exact. I took some scary self portraits to document the fact that this was the coldest northernmost place I had been in my life. Very fun. brl and I desperately wanted to by the fur hats that many folks were wearing, but knew they would have to be hidden or buried upon our return to Eugene.

I'm now in brl's apartment, where handymen/plumbers/who knows else have been next door since 8am putting in a new heat pump. Hearing the handymen's gestures and discussion in Swedish had been funny - I've been making up dialogue to go along with it.

I've had some wonderful visits with the University of Lund's Special Collections and University Archives. They are in separate departments and buildings. Both were such great hosts. I wasn't sure if we'd have time to visit the National Archives, but we made it on our last day in Stockholm. It was interesting, but unfortunately since I didn't contact anyone ahead of time (they only had one webpage in English with not even contact information on the Swedish pages), they were unable to give me a tour of the cavernness stacks that were built underground.

I brought three knitting projects and two books. I started one of the knitting projects and am halfway through both books. I've ended up being on my feet, walking around and going to museums so I've been neglecting that part of my holiday. I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to catch up on that stuff on the 9-hour plane ride.

No comments: